How to Sponsor a Spouse From Germany

Getting married and sponsoring a spouse from Germany involves several steps and requirements. The Family Sponsorship Canada stream enables Canadians to bring their foreign spouses and partners into the country as permanent residents. Let's delve into the process in more detail.

Marrying a German Spouse

Marriage laws can be intricate, especially when it involves foreigners. Germany has established strict requirements for foreigners who intend to marry German citizens, as a means to discourage citizens from leaving the country.

To marry a German citizen, you need to prove to German officials that you are not currently married. This means you must be single or have finalized your divorce if you were previously married. It is also necessary to demonstrate your identity and that you have no criminal record in Germany. To do so, you must provide an Affidavit of Single Status to the authorities either at a German Consulate/Embassy or in Germany itself. In Canada, the German Consulate General in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver, as well as the German Honorary Consulates in Winnipeg, St John, Halifax, Saskatoon, and Edmonton, can assist you with this process.

Additionally, a civil ceremony must be performed a few days prior to the main wedding. This ceremony takes place at the Standesamt and usually costs less than 100 Euros. It's important to note that only a registrar can perform a legally binding marriage, not religious officials such as Imams, priests, ministers, rabbis, or consular officers. If you wish to have a religious ceremony, the civil ceremony must take place first.

During the ceremony, you will need at least two witnesses. If necessary, you can request an interpreter from the Standesamt.

To obtain a marriage certificate, you will need to provide several documents, including your original passport translated into German, translated copies of birth certificates, divorce decrees or statements if you are divorced, a Ledigkeitbescheinigung (statement of single status) if you have never been married, and, in some cases, blood tests and medical certificates. Proof of residence and an Ehefähigkeitszeugnis (certificate of no legal hindrances to marriage in Germany) obtained from the Canadian Embassy are also required. If one party is under 18 years old but over 16, parental consent is necessary. It's important to ensure all documents are translated into German.

Bring Your Spouse to Canada

Here's how we can help you:

  • Formulate a strategy based on your particular circumstances.
  • Collect and review supporting documentation to sufficiently establish the genuineness of your relationship.
  • Prepare you and your spouse or partner for any requested interviews.
  • Provide expert legal submissions in support of your application.
  • Communicate with the immigration authorities on your behalf to ensure you don’t miss anything, which could lead to significant delays.

If you’re looking for an immigration lawyer for spousal sponsorship, Matthew Jeffery has over 20 years of experience and specializes in handling spousal sponsorships with high success rates. To see if you qualify for spousal sponsorship, fill out our FREE Sponsorship Assessment form.

Sponsoring a German Spouse or Partner

To sponsor your German spouse or partner, you will need to complete and file a sponsorship application form. If your spouse or partner intends to visit you while the application is being processed, they can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Ensuring a Smooth Process

To prevent misuse of spousal immigration sponsorship, the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has implemented rigorous screening procedures to ensure the authenticity of marriages. It may be wise to hire an immigration lawyer to ensure your German wedding and sponsorship process are legally sound. At the Law Offices of Matthew Jeffery, we offer comprehensive assistance, including completing the necessary forms and navigating bureaucratic challenges.

If you have any questions or need guidance regarding marrying and sponsoring a German citizen, feel free to contact us today at 416-944-3267 or via email at We are here to assist you throughout the process.

FAQ - Sponsoring a Spouse from Germany