How to Sponsor a Spouse From United Kingdom

Unveiling the Pathway: Marrying and Sponsoring Your British Spouse

Within the realm of the Family Sponsorship Canada stream, an enticing opportunity awaits Canadians to sponsor their foreign spouses or partners, granting them the esteemed status of Canadian permanent residents. Explore the unique process of marrying and sponsoring a spouse from Great Britain, where rich traditions and profound love intertwine.

Forming a Union with a British Citizen

As you embark on this journey from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will encounter immigration control, necessitating a visa before your marriage or civil partnership can be solemnized (civil unions are recognized in Great Britain).

Notably, Canadians typically do not require visas for short visits to the UK (up to 90 days) for tourism or business purposes. However, a visa is mandatory when seeking to marry within the country.

To enter Great Britain for your wedding, you may apply for a Marriage or Civil Partnership Visitor visa if your stay will be under 6 months. Alternatively, if you plan to stay for more than 6 months, a Family of a Settled Person visa is appropriate. These visa applications can include your dependent children.

To give notice of your intention to marry, you must provide at least 28 days' notice to the designated register office. Additionally, you must have resided in England or Wales for a minimum of one week prior to giving notice. As a Canadian citizen, your notice period can be extended for 70 days, as you will be coming from outside the EEA or Switzerland. You will receive notification of the extension within the initial 28-day period.

Bring Your Spouse to Canada

Here's how we can help you:

  • Formulate a strategy based on your particular circumstances.
  • Collect and review supporting documentation to sufficiently establish the genuineness of your relationship.
  • Prepare you and your spouse or partner for any requested interviews.
  • Provide expert legal submissions in support of your application.
  • Communicate with the immigration authorities on your behalf to ensure you don’t miss anything, which could lead to significant delays.

If you’re looking for an immigration lawyer for spousal sponsorship, Matthew Jeffery has over 20 years of experience and specializes in handling spousal sponsorships with high success rates. To see if you qualify for spousal sponsorship, fill out our FREE Sponsorship Assessment form.

Required documents include proof of identity (name), date of birth, nationality, and physical address.

Marriage certificates serve as legal documents affirming your marital status. These certificates are issued by either a civil registrar in a civil register office or a clergyman from the Church of England within a parish church. The certificate encompasses the marital status of both the bride and groom, their full names and ages, as well as the date of the marriage.

The total cost for obtaining a marriage certificate is £35 if your immigration documents or passport align with the information provided, and £47 if discrepancies exist.

Sponsoring a Spouse from Great Britain to Canada

To commence the sponsorship process, you must complete the requisite forms within the Family Sponsorship class. It is advisable to engage the services of a lawyer, as even the slightest oversight could impede the success of your sponsorship application.

Typically, the processing time for sponsorship is 10 to 12 months. If you wish for your spouse or partner to visit you while the sponsorship is being processed, you may apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) on their behalf.

Seeking Professional Assistance for Spousal Sponsorship

In addition to ensuring accurate completion of your application forms, a lawyer will guide you in solidifying the authenticity of your British marriage, as well as assist you with the necessary paperwork. The Law Office of Matthew Jeffery boasts over 20 years of experience, successfully assisting numerous clients in sponsoring their spouses from Great Britain to Canada.

Take a decisive step forward on this remarkable journey by calling us at (416) 944-3267. With our unwavering dedication and expertise, we are committed to ensuring your dream of reuniting with your British beloved becomes an extraordinary reality.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Sponsorship of a Spouse from the United Kingdom